Institute of Materials Finishing
The Institute of Materials Finishing was founded in 1925, its title then being the Electroplaters and Depositors Technical Society. Its main purpose was to disseminate technical information on electrodeposition by means of technical publications, meetings and conferences.
The area of interest broadened into all aspects of surface finishing on metal when it assumed the title of the Institute of Metal Finishing in 1951.
In 2013 the name was changed to the Institute of Materials Finishing to embrace all technologies of surface finishing on a much wider variety of materials. Such processes embrace electro-plating, organic (paint) finishing, anodising, printed circuitry and ancillary methods of surface treatment.
More recently, the IMF has further broadened its interest to cover other aspects of surface engineering.